Thursday, October 8, 2015

No Plan B...(Day 8 - Hope Against Hope)

We were encouraged to abort. We knew this was not the answer.
Photo by joshtinpowers licensed under Creative Commons

It was not our answer.  Abortion stood against everything my husband and I stand for.  It was horrific to even fathom.  It was torment enough to take in the reality of what was happening.

I was told my water broke early.  The medical term is Premature Rupture of Membranes (PROM).  I had imagined near the end of my pregnancy, my water would break in the most unforeseen detail. But yet, it broke at 19 weeks and continued to drip little by little until there wasn't any amniotic fluid left surrounding my baby at all.

Hope. Against. Hope...all of the odds were stacked against us.  We were told by an expert in the field that our baby will not survive.  All of the amniotic fluid had completely leaked out leaving nothing to support baby's growth and development.  Yet, we didn't have a plan B.

The only option we were given is for me to be admitted in the hospital until the birth of baby.  I honestly found some relief in this.  At least, I could be attended to and would be in the right place should anything happen. I had been on complete bed rest for a couple of weeks prior and I was nervous to do much of anything.  The hospital would definitely provide the least restrictive environment for us.

Only one doctor seemed to agree and stand with us on our decision to not abort.  This encouraged us and gave us hope.  He told us stories of parents in similar situations whose babies had survived.  We needed to get to at least 30 weeks to increase chances of survival.  I was a little over 22 weeks along.

The day came for me to be admitted to the hospital.  My only request was to stop by Chick-fil-A (one of my fave spots).  I had to prepare myself that good food from this point on would most likely be a forgotten indulgence.  In spite of, I hoped this would be a long hospital stay.

I still had hope.  Every fiber of my being wanted to believe my baby would survive.  Surely, all would see how great is our God.  This would be a miracle indeed!

What do you do when your plan is not an option?  When the odds are against you...Do you continue to hope?

Thank you for taking this journey with me.  Feel free to comment below.


This is Day 8 of a 31 day series of “Hope Against Hope”. To read all of the posts in this series, click here. To read what several other bloggers are writing for the month of October, click here








No comments:

Post a Comment