Friday, October 23, 2015

Holy Surrender Part II (Day 23 - Hope Against Hope)



Surrender is a tremendous act of humility, but also displays great strength.  

Life has a way of humbling us.  It strips us of the mindset of self-glorification and egotism.  We are forced to disrobe, baring all.  The good, the bad and the ugly.

One of things I most struggled with when my daughter died was feelings of inadequacy and utter embarrassment.  My reputation of seemingly having it all together was ruined.  It was hard for me to face people.  I wanted to isolate myself.  I didn't want people to see me hurting or mourning because it made me  seem weak.  What a humbling experience!

Surrender has to come from a place of humility.  But how do we surrender?

First we must choose to accept exactly where we are is exactly where we should be. Ouch!  It may not feel good, but this is a choice we must make, which brings me to my next point.

We must not allow our feelings to control us.  Feelings are fickle and fleshly led, not spirit led. 

We have to understand our experiences are to grow us.  Grow us into what you may ask.  The ultimate plan for all of us is to look and act more like Jesus.  We are to continually grow to be like Him.

Therefore, it is essential that we know Him.  Not know only of His character, but know Him intimately.  Surrender is futile if we don't know whom we surrender to.

In knowing Him, we have to desire Him, desire to be like Him more than we desire anything else.  

This is the heart of surrender.  Not your will, but His.  Allowing the Lord to lead  you until His desires are yours.  It's a daily giving up of oneself so He may be glorified.  

This is the beginning of holiness.  This is what sets us apart.  We don't live life apart from Him.  We don't behave as an unbeliever.  Our motives, reactions and behavior has to reflect holy living, which are birthed out of true surrender to Christ.  

It is my prayer that you choose to surrender all to Christ.  Where are you on your journey?  Feel fee to comment below.


                      
This is Day 23 of a 31 day series of “Hope Against Hope”. To read all of the posts in this series, click here. To read what several other bloggers are writing for the month of October, click here






No comments:

Post a Comment